Do you count on other people to get your stuff done?
My new friend and Fishhook client, Mike Ducy of Run2Relay has been involved in the running and competition event business for 20+ years. Before launching Run2Relay as a low-barrier community event for churches to incorporate into their outreach strategy (and a all out fun event for competitors), Mike owned End Result and GetMeRegistered.com. Mike sold these two businesses to allow him the time and focus to create Run2Relay. Recently, Mike and I spent time together connecting with people at the North American Christian Convention. We were both wearing Run2Relay shirts and the shirts were a giveaway in his booth. We had devised a simple game people could play that engaged them in learning the Run2Relay story. As it turns out, everybody wins the game and everybody got his or her own Run2Relay shirt. What amazed me was to watch men and women, teens and kids stop dead in their convention-induced-walking-trance to play the game…to get the shirt.
Convention center dockworkers would drop what they were doing and lend Mike a free hand to unload his stuff…in exchange for a airborne tossed free shirt. Event bystanders would roll-up their sleeves and jump in to help man a table or water station…for a free shirt. And the stories went on.
- Connect with your favorite designer and come up with a cool shirt design to represent your communication team or church.
- Hook up with your favorite shirt vendor and get a batch of shirts made. Stick with one color and a decent weight T and you’ll likely be at $5/each – print up 100 and you’re only $500 invested toward a bunch of team love.
- Start tossing shirts around.
- You’ll bring a smile to your staff, volunteers or partners.
- Watch the results. They’ll be more excited to help you get your stuff done.
- Send me a free shirt if the idea worked for you!