I'm a sucker for the little stores in the airport. Not the ones that sell overpriced tourist trinkets hastily purchased by guilty travelers, I like the ones that sell gum, bottled water, magazines and books. With TSA regulations I always buy a bottled water (as I have to throw away the one I'm drinking before screening) and since variations in cabin pressure do a number on my ears, I always buy gum. Magazine choices - usually something to do with boating or travel or home decor. (yes, I'm straight...I just like these over other choices.) About twice a year I'll buy a little book at the airport. On a recent trip, I picked up a book called Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar.... It's a quick, fun read and it outlines exactly what makes jokes funny. Two philosophers examine jokes and then dissect exactly what makes the jokes funny and the connection to various schools of philosophy. OK...I know that sounds like a perfectly good way to UNfunny a joke, but it totally works. But here's what's odd: To me, and I'm sure to many, the jokes are funny whether I understand "why" they're funny or not. They are just naturally funny. For 90% of the US population that gets jokes (the other 10% has bigger worries) we just know the jokes are funny.
Not so with good communication. To some people (I hope me included) we simply "get" what makes good communication. Oh, I'm likely to screw up some spelling, but typically, I can examine a situation and understand whether good or not-so-good communication is happening between the one attempting to communicate and the intended audience. I just get it. And if you ask me, "hey, what makes this or that good communication," I can probably tell you, but it will take a little thinking. Because I have to dig down and express what I just sorta know to be. That's sort of how I feel going into tomorrow, Thursday, November 12.
Tomorrow, I'm speaking at a pastors lunch in Chicago. My friends (and project collaborators) at Aspen Group have invited me to speak to a group of pastors on the topic of communication strategy in the local church. We wrestled around on the title a bit and comfortably landed on "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late: How information overload and a poor communication strategy may impact your church."
In this session, we'll be exploring five strategies that can positively impact a church. In this session, I'm attempting to take what I naturally get and unpack for folks who may or may not naturally get. I hope they do.
In the upcoming posts I'll unpack these five...assuming that I feel like I got close to helping my audience get it.